Event helps kids stay active and keep learning all summer long
On Saturday, May 21st, the YMCA of Frederick County is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. This year marks the 25th annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well being for kids and families. The 4-hour event will be held in both Y locations and feature activities such as games, arts and crafts, youth program demos, bounce house, and more. These activities are geared toward motivating and teaching families how to develop healthy routines at home.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,300 Y’s across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long, which is a critical time for kids’ health. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days. Instead, the Y hopes to focus on wowing them with their potential and make this their best summer ever by staying active and learning.
“The Y believes in the potential of all children, and we strive to help kids find the Wow! factor inside themselves. A child’s development is never on vacation and Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity to educate families and motivate kids to stay active in spirit, mind and body throughout the summer,” said Justin Gaston, Associate Executive Director, The Downtown Y.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
Healthy Kids Day® is all about building on the “cool” factor inside every kid…whoever they are and wherever they’re from. So come to Healthy Kids Day® for a day of creative, challenging, smart, healthy fun and watch the “cool” in your kid come out.
The YMCA of Frederick County’s Healthy Kids Day will take place at two locations: The Downtown Y on N Market St in Frederick and The Y’s Urbana Property in-between the Urbana Middle and High School from 10:00am – 2:00pm and features fun, active play and educational activities.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day is supported by Frederick Memorial Hospital.
For more information, contact the YMCA of Frederick County at 663-5131 or visit frederickymca.org.