(BPT) – With the significant impact elections have on our country, would it be surprising to hear that only 38 percent of eligible Americans voted in the 2010 election? What happened to the other 62 percent of voters?
Perhaps it’s an overwhelming amount of information. Or maybe it’s a lack of access to the right information that keeps voters from feeling engaged. With the November mid-term elections quickly approaching, now is the time to learn more about candidates and issues on the ballot so you can make your vote count.
Here are five tips for staying informed and updated on the latest with local races and issues that matter so your vote counts on Election Day:
1. Know where to go
It’s important that you have registered to vote and know the local polling location where you can go to cast your ballot. Call your local city hall or visit http://rockthevote.com, a nonpartisan website. Additionally, learn about absentee voting options if you’ll be traveling on Election Day.
2. Get a go-to guide
Elections are personal and your election information should be as unique as you are. Whether you’re focused on the races on the biggest stage or those handling business just down the street, the Bing Voter’s Guide is designed to bring you the most comprehensive, balanced and reliable information based on the races, ballot measures and issues that matter to you this November.
3. Use customized tools
Voters are looking for customized tools and information to help them make the right decision this fall. With Bing Predicts, you can see the impact voting results will have on top issues and get the latest news on how key races at the local, state and national levels will affect you. Visit bing.com/elections to learn more.
4. Cast your vote
Make time in your day to visit your local polling place. Know voting hours and what form of identification is acceptable beforehand. To save time, avoid peak voting periods like over the lunch hour. Many states have laws that require employers to give employees time off to vote, so learn about your rights. Additionally, some cities allow voting by mail, so ask if that is an option for you.
5. Watch the results
Your local news stations and government websites should report on voting results. You can follow the polls on Election Day after voting is closed or get results the next morning. No matter the results, you should feel proud you learned about the issues affecting your community and took action to vote and make a difference.